Learning the Accents in Italian Language
There are two important points to focus on when we speak about the Accents in Italian:
1) the fact that the position is not fixed: it means that you can find the accent in any syllable of the word.
2) the fact that is written only if the word has the accent on the last syllable: otherwise it is not present. It means that in the most of the cases, unfortunately, you don’t have any indication about the stressed syllable just looking at the written word.
We will discuss longer about this in the video here below. Another interesting point analysed in the video is about the monosyllables. You know that we have words that are made by only one syllable: do they want the accent or not?
Finally, and this is the third topic of the video, it is important to know how to write the accent in Italian. We have two kind of accents – “grave” (`) and acuto (´) – and it is important to know which is the right one according to the word that you have to write.
The Accent in Italian
Accent Yes or Not? Exercise about the Monosyllables.
Decide, for each sentence, if the monosyllable wants the accent or not.
1. Luigi ( ___ ) fa la doccia ogni mattina. / “sì” or “si”.
2. Me lo dici, ( ___ ) o no? / “sì” or “si”.
3. Vai ( ___ ), qui non c’è posto. / “là” or “la”.
4. ( ___ ) moglie di Luigi si chiama Eleonora. / “là” or “la”.
5. ( ___ ) hai mai incontrati? / “lì” or “li”.
6. I tuoi occhiali sono ( ___ ). / “lì” or “li”.
7. Vuoi un ( ___ )? /“tè” or “te”.
8. A ( ___ ) voglio molto bene. /“tè” or “te”.
9. ( ___ ) vorrei ancora una fetta. / “né” or “ne”.
10. ( ___ ) caldo e ( ___ ) freddo. / “né” or “ne”.
11. Io ( ___ ) Giorgio siamo amici. / “é” or “e”.
12. Lui ( ____ ) italiano. “é” or “e”.
Italian Accent – How to write the Accents in Italian
Go to the Italian Virtual School You Tube Channel. You will be able to watch all the Videos about the Free Italian Video Course for Beginners.
Learn Italian with ITALIAN VIRTUAL SCHOOL
and take a
FREE Trial Class!
You must be logged in to post a comment.